Monday, January 19, 2015

I Want a Doctor Who Knows He Doesn't Know Everything

It was that time, time to see a doctor about a colonoscopy, so I made an appointment with a new doctor. As we were talking he asked what medications I taking. When I told him I took testosterone, he asked why. I said it was because my opioid pain medication depleted my testosterone.

He looked puzzled, and told me he has never heard about opioids depleted testosterone, and didn't believe it did. I told him around 75% of male pain patients on opioid medications, have low testosterone. He pulled out his phone, and looked something up on RxList.com, then told me he found nothing about opioids depleting testosterone.

I asked him to do a search for opioids deplete testosterone. He tapped on his phone and said, "everything I need to know, is right here", then told me I needed some tests done. I thanked him, and walked out of his office.

Today with all the information on the internet, patients may well know more about their condition than their doctor. I believe a good doctor is one who will listen to their patients. I don't want a doctor who knows everything, I want a doctor who knows he doesn't know everything.


http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/treatments/hormone-therapy/testosterone-replacement-chronic-pain-patients

No comments:

Post a Comment